Thursday, October 16, 2008

Election Advice

The following is my article for the November Westbury Word newsletter:

A presidential election is upon us. This is always such an interesting time. Now, I won’t be telling you for whom to vote, not in this article, not from the pulpit, not even in a private conversation. I have my opinions, but as a pastor, I feel that I owe you more than an opinion. I owe you the truth. The Bible is the only place I know of where absolute truth can be found, and the words “Democrat” and “Republican” are not found in there. But here is what I would urge you to do:

Vote. We Americans enjoy a unique privilege: the right to choose our own leaders. Pray diligently and do your homework in advance of election day. Consider not only the platforms of both candidates, but their character and competency. Then visit your polling station and thank God we have such a wonderful freedom.

Pray. Whoever wins this election will need our prayers in the days ahead, as we face an economic crisis, a war on two fronts, and the threat of terrorism, all in addition to the usual domestic and foreign political concerns. Pray that our president will work effectively with other leaders. Pray that he will have wisdom to make good decisions, courage to do the right thing even if it’s hard, and compassion to stand up for those who can’t stand up for themselves. And while you’re at it, pray that God’s people would experience revival soon.

Trust. Here’s the best election news of all: Christ is still King. He’s still ultimately “the most powerful man in the world.” Let’s trust Him to take care of us, see others (even our political opposites) through His eyes, and look forward to the day we live in His World…where no campaign promises are ever broken.

No comments: