Monday, March 31, 2008

School Adoption Update

I drive past an elementary school near our church every time I go to our local YMCA. When I say "near our church," I mean that most of us could easily walk to the campus from the doors of Westbury. This past Sunday, the Houston Chronicle printed their annual "School Report Card," and I looked up this campus. Overall, the school was rated "Academically Unnacceptable," the lowest possible rating. Over 96% of the kids in this school are listed as being from low income families.

Not long ago, I shared with the church my own belief (and I believe this is from God) that our church should take responsibility for the condition of our community. As such, we should not settle for a failing grade on a school that close to us. Now, of course I know that such an idealistic attitude overshadows some real questions. We cannot erase all of the problems in our community. But at least we can do something. And I believe a great way to start "doing something" as a church is for us to adopt a local school. When I first shared this with WBC in a sermon last month, the response was incredible. People are excited about the possibilities of such a program. Obviously, this ministry effort won't be for everyone, since we all have diverse gifts, passions and callings in the Body of Christ. But I believe adopting a school will mobilize quite a few of us...and that those who join in this effort will see other needs in our community, which will mobilize still other WBC members, and so on, and so on...

Since that Sunday, I have been researching the best way for us to proceed. There are many groups that offer good adopt-a-school programs, so there is no reason for us to re-invent the wheel. Three such groups are:

Mission Houston, which is starting a bold new Whole and Healthy Children Initiative in the coming school year. More info can be found here.

Kids Hope, which offers a nationally recognized program. Find out more here.

The Urban Alternative, which has offered its National Adopt-a-School Initiative since 1985. TUA is led by Dr. Tony Evans. A video and other info are here.

As you will see if you visit those websites, all three programs are good. They each have their advantages and disadvantages in our particular context. My plan is to meet with representatives of all three groups and to find out all I can, and that we can adopt a school in the coming academic year (2008-2009). Join me in praying that God would lead us to the right program, and that through this WBC would more effectively transform our community for Christ!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeff--You're absolutely right, all threee programs have pros and cons. After reviewing their info, I tend toward Mission Houston because it is a local program. My experience has been that purchasing a nationally-based program doesn't always allow for the individualization that is often needed, but that's just a thought. I look forward to hearing more.
Kristy

Jeff Berger said...

Thank you, Kristy. I appreciate that perspective. From my angle, there are two drawbacks to Mission Houston's program. One: It's new, and so naturally there will be initial kinks to work out, whereas the other two programs have been around a while and are more tested. Two: We would not be able to choose the campus we want to adopt, but instead would be invited to join in with other churches in adopting the school chosen by Mission Houston. I admire Mission Houston greatly, and I really want their program to succeed. I also like the thought of inter-church cooperation in a program like this. I'm still praying and waiting to see where God leads!

Anonymous said...

Jeff--Good points! But isn't it exciting to envision the potential opportunities with any program?!
Kristy

Jeff Berger said...

Oh absolutely! I can't wait to see what God is going to do in and through us as we embark on this. I am more and more convinced this is what He wants us to do. It will be a lot of hard work, but the benefits for us and for our community will be well worth it.

Anonymous said...

Dear Pastor Jeff,
My name is Marilyn Garcia and I work for Buckner International (www.buckner.org). Currently, Buckner is in collaboration with Kid's Hope USA in Texas. We help to share the story of Kid's Hope to churches. I am officed in Houston and would love to sit and visit with you more about what Kid's Hope USA offers. My email is magarcia@buckner.org, and phone is 713-278-9213 EXT 2228. Blessings