Tuesday, January 29, 2008

...and so it begins...

I thought our first Sunday in the gym was fantastic! I heard many enthusiastic reports from people who were nervous about worshipping outside of our beautiful worship building, but who thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Kyle put together a great, upbeat worship service, the band and choir did their usual excellent job, and our sound team wired that place perfectly. That, and the volunteers who helped set up the room made it a great day.

Just by way of update: I said this from the pulpit a few weeks ago, but it bears repeating: We will not be able to put in video screens at this point. After consulting with companies that install such systems, we found that our room is simply not shaped the right way for video capabilities. If the room wasn't so long...or if we didn't care about obscuring the stained glass window...or if we didn't have a choir, we could probably go through with it. But all of those things ARE true, and I am glad for them! So here's the way I look at it: Someday technology will catch up with us, and we'll be able to install a system that gives us video capability without compromising the features of our worship space that are already such assets.

Otherwise, this process seems to be off to a great start. Keep this entire thing in your prayers, including the contractors who will be working on our building and the renovation committee overseeing the work. And keep Easter in your prayers as well...we plan to celebrate the best Sunday of the year at Johnston Middle School, in their auditorium. This gives us more room for what should be a great crowd, PLUS it gives us a chance to take Easter to our community. Pray that some folks who wouldn't feel comfortable entering a church building would choose to come to Johnston on March 23. Oh, and make sure you invite some, too. Keep your eye out for advertisements in local community publications.

I can't wait to see and worship in our renovated building, but until that time, I think this will be a wonderful period in WBC's life.

6 comments:

Chris said...

Jeff,
My daughter Jill was very excited when she heard we were worshiping at Johnston, I thought she would be a little upset because she would have been coming from CT to visit for Easter and then having to go to the middle school....NOPE she was so excited, see thats where she went to school, met her husband, blah, blah so she was excited...i hope the place is packed out.

Anonymous said...

Jeff,
The service was inspiring in a very spiritual way. The opening music by all was outstanding with Sherry Horn blowing the roof off.
What a gift she has.
The highlight was the message delivered in a creative, intimate way. It was a moving message and one with a challenge. My awareness of opportunities to witness has escalated.
Thank you for answering God's call.

Anonymous said...

To all WBC members and attendees,
Something delicate has bothered me for a very long time. To express my concern could easily be misinterpreted as "holier than thou" thinking.




It is not meant that way, at all.
In the gymnasium this concern was amplified. AS THE INVITATION IS BEING DELIVERED THE CROWD IS SHUFFLING BOOKS, PURSES, CHILDREN, ETC. THAT IS THE VERY TIME THAT WE SHOULD BE QUIETLY PRAYING THAT THE HOLY SPIRIT WILL MOVE EACH OF US. IT IS SUCH A TERRIBLE PRACTICE THAT I'VE NEVER HEARD ADDRESSED.
Jeff, please in some form call this to the attention of our members. It can be a sensitive issue. But, if done while the move to the gymnasium can be used as a natural backdrop, the idea and concern could be delivered.
If we practice this for six to eight weeks it might become the norm.
Thank you for taking time to read this.

Jeff Berger said...

It is up to me to remind the congregation of how important the invitation time is. Thanks for helping me remember that responsibility.

Chris,

I sure hope that place is packed out too!

And to "anonymous,"

I'm glad you enjoyed the service as much as I did. Thanks for the encouragement on my message...that means so much. I'll email Sherry and make sure she reads this, too. She does have a fantastic voice, doesn't she?

Unknown said...

Jeff and Anonymous,

Thank you both for the wonderful compliments! I really appreciate that you enjoyed the music and the message that it brings. God has definitely given me many gifts and I am thankful for them everyday. I guess you could say that He never failed me yet!

Thanks again for the kudos!

Sherri

Anonymous said...

If we begin to remind people NOW, maybe by the time we get back into the sanctuary it will sink in that there should be NO FOOD OR DRINK in there. Some have gotten a little lax about that. We shouldn't do it period, but we especially don't want to spot our new carpet and seats. Surely people can go an hour without food or drink.