Thursday, May 7, 2015

Getting Back on Track

Sometimes when I’m driving, if my wife catches me looking at something on the side of the road, she will clear her throat, poke me, or in some other way remind me to keep me eyes on the street.  Now that my kids are older, they do the same thing.  It’s annoying, to tell you the truth; after all, I manage to drive quite frequently by myself, and have yet to kill myself or anyone else on the road.  Yet at the same time, I know they are doing me a kindness (I hope none of them reads this...I want them to think I am still annoyed with them).  

God did me a similar kindness recently.  In a devotional book I was reading, the author quoted Colossians 1:28-29:

28 We proclaim Him, warning and teaching everyone with all wisdom, so that we may present everyone mature in Christ. 29 I labor for this, striving with His strength that works powerfully in me.

That’s actually one of my favorite passages.  In fact, when I first came to WBC nearly 8 years ago, and I was asked for my favorite Scripture (to post in my bio on the website), that’s the one I named.  Yet seeing it again in that devotional book was like God clearing His throat at me, as if to say, “You’ve gotten a bit distracted.  Get your eyes back on the road.”  As a pastor, it’s far too easy to get caught up in running church programs, trying to add new members, and keep the present members happy, instead of doing what I am called to do: Make disciples.  Paul knew his job, and stayed focused on it at all times: To preach Jesus with the goal of making everyone mature (the Greek word means “complete”) in Him.  I realized to my shame that I rarely do anything anymore specifically for the purpose of helping individual Christians become the people they were created to be, complete in Jesus Christ.  When I saw that Scripture, I resolved to change.

What does that mean exactly?  I don’t know yet.  But here’s where I will start: I will pray every day for WBC members, using my handy church directory.  I will pray for your needs as best I know them (In a church this size, I certainly don’t know everything that you’re struggling with).  Here’s how you can help me: Call or write or email and tell me what you think God wants to do in your life.  Where do you most need to grow?  What virtues is He trying to add to your character?  What temptations, doubts, and questions do you struggle with the most?  If you want to send me an anonymous letter, that’s okay.  But help me, as pastor, know how best to help you take the next steps in your journey toward being complete.  This is just the beginning; I don’t know where God’s Spirit will take me after this.  But I’m glad to be back on track.

Jeff Berger
jeffberger@wbchouston.org
713-723-6428
Westbury Baptist Church
10425 Hillcroft
Houston, TX 77096

No comments: