Thursday, May 27, 2010

God's Plan for Your Life

I come from a family of artists. My childhood home was covered with paintings and drawings created by my dad. My brother originally went to college as an art major before switching to architecture. He uses his creative skills at work everyday, but still finds time occasionally to draw or paint just for fun. And now my daughter Kayleigh has followed in their footsteps. She's in the art magnet program at Johnston Middle School, and I'm consistently amazed at the beautiful works she creates.

Scripture teaches us that God is an artist. This Sunday, I will be preaching on Ephesians 2:1-10, which contains one of my favorite sentences. Verse 10 says, "For you are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which He prepared beforehand, that you would do them. That word "workmanship" is a translation of the Greek word poema, which means "work of art" or "masterpiece." Since before you were born, God has been working to equip you for the purpose He had in mind when He made you. Ephesians 2:1-10 talks about that process of transformation, what we can do to experience it to the full, and what it's all ultimately leading to. It will be a very affirming message.

No comments: