Thursday, May 6, 2010

Finding God's Plan for Your Life

I got the call Sunday afternoon, before I had left church. My Grandpa had died, after a long struggle with Alzheimer's. Cecil Williams never went to college. Aside from a stint in the Navy, he never lived anywhere but the rural community where I grew up. He spent his entire adult life in a church of less than 100 people. Yet as I spoke at his funeral Wednesday morning, I was amazed at how many lives he had touched...including mine. Grandpa was a man of amazing faith, and he left that legacy for me, my brother, my cousins and our children. I shudder to think where I might be if he had not been the man he was.

Grandpa was proof that a great life may not include all the trappings of success that we value. If God is the ultimate judge of our lives--as Scripture clearly teaches--then a truly great life is one in which we accomplish the purpose for which He created us. Paul, near the end of his own life, said, "I have finished my course." The idea was that he knew he had done what God put him on Earth to do. Because of that, he could face death without fear or regret.

So how can we live in that way? So far, God hasn't come to me in a blinding flash of light or a burning bush, so how can I know God's plan for me? This Sunday, we'll tackle that very important question. Our text will be Proverbs 3:5-6. I hope I see you there.

No comments: