Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Sermon on the Mount: Our Radical Impact

Last Sunday, I began a series of sermons on the Sermon on the Mount, Matthew 5-7. It's going to be the longest sermon series I've ever preached (It will last into September), and rightfully so. The Sermon on the Mount is the most famous speech ever delivered. Jesus sat down with His disciples and revealed the radical way He expects for them (and us) to live. I hope you'll committ to hearing every one of these messages, not because of the quality of the preaching but because of the importance of the subject matter.

This week, we'll look at perhaps the most well-known section of the Sermon: Matthew 5:13-16. What did Jesus mean by comparing us to salt and light. Some believe this means we should be distinct from the world. Others believe we should live attractive lives which show the world the benefits of following Christ. I believe Jesus meant more than that. Have a great week, and I'll (hopefully) see you Sunday.

1 comment:

forerunner said...

Wow, I grew up in Texas and never heard a teaching on the 'Sermon on the Mount' or Jesus for that matter. I'm only 19 but I'm really glad there's a pastor in Texas who's willing to teach from the Bible and not just the latest concerns. I just wanted to encourage you to stay the course and preach the whole truth even through persecution.

"Jesus is the central issue. What do you do with a God who said, He has made Himself fully known in THIS MAN, and the only way to atone for the human predicament of sin is His shed blood and His holy love that took your place when you didn't deserve it? And the very breath we accuse Him with is the very breath HE LET US HAVE!" -Allen Hood