Monday, July 7, 2008

Back in the Saddle Again

If you're now humming the tune from "Back in the Saddle Again," it's a pretty good sign you're old (by those standards, I am, too...so don't feel bad). If you're not, here's a little hint so you won't feel left out.

What I mean to say is that I'm finally back in the office. Three weeks ago, we had Vacation Bible School, and that meant being in the children's building and the gym much of the day. Two weeks ago, I accompanied our high schoolers to youth camp. And last week, I took a blessed 7-day vacation. Seven days in the beautiful Texas Hill Country. For seven days we:

--Ate some really good food (The Grist Mill in Gruene is even better than I remembered).
--Slept late.
--Tubed the Comal river.
--Hiked...sometimes carrying a four-year-old (which was probably a good thing, considering all that good food I ate).
--Swam in the Pedernales.
--Basically bummed around. I read two books for sheer pleasure...it was great.

That's my idea of a vacation: One where you actually come back rested. Yes, friends, it is indeed possible.

I have already heard from several people that Dr. Tom Billings preached a wonderful sermon. I'm not at all surprised, but I am grateful to hear it. I look forward to returning to the pulpit this next Sunday, but for now, I'm glad to be home.

This morning (no kidding), I thanked God for two things: A vacation that truly refreshed me, and a church I am glad to come home to.

No comments: