Thursday, January 8, 2015

The Call





How does a life get changed?  This time of year, we often think about renewal, ways we want our lives to be different.  A lot of our resolutions this time of year have to do with our physical health.  We say we want to stop smoking, drink less alcohol, eat right, get in shape.  It’s no secret that gyms are packed with people in the month of January, as tons of people (no pun intended) resolve to get back in shape.  Then by February, the gyms are quiet.  Those good intentions went by the wayside.  Other people resolve to get out of debt this year, or start saving up for a better house, or for a child’s education.  Still others mention family as their resolution, as in, “I’m going to spend less time at the office and more time with the people I love.”  And one common resolution is, “I want to enjoy life more.”  That one makes me laugh.  Do we really need to resolve to be more focused on ourselves?  One year, my son said his New Year’s resolution was to play more Xbox.  Motivation was not a problem in keeping that resolution.   

But what if I told you that there is someone who knows everything about you, including the reason you exist?  Not only does He know you perfectly, He loves you completely and wants to help you accomplish your purpose in life, the purpose for which He created you.  Psalm 139:13-16 says of God, For You formed my inward parts; You wove me in my mother’s womb. I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are Your works, and my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from You, when I was made in secret, and skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth; Your eyes have seen my unformed substance; and in Your book were all written the days that were ordained for me, when as yet there was not one of them.  

And Ephesians 2:10 says, For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them. That word "workmanship" literally means "work of art" or "masterpiece."  God knows why He made you.  

If God knows you that well and loves you that much; if He’s like an artist who designed you for a purpose, then doesn’t it make sense to let Him do the work of changing you?  This Sunday, let’s look at the story of how one man’s life was changed forever.  Our text will be John 1:35-42 and Luke 5:1-11We’ll look at three things that happened before this man began the journey of transformation.  And at the end, I have three questions for you to consider.

No comments: