Friday, August 27, 2010

The Fruits of the Spirit: Peace Rules

Many years ago, I took a defensive driving course. I'm sure many of you assume I did this because I had acquired a traffic ticket, and not because I am passionate about being a safe, conscientious driver. Hmm. Don't you feel judgmental now?

Moving along...

What I took from the courase is that to drive defensively means driving under the assumption that everyone else on the road is an idiot. You, and you alone, are responsible for ensuring that you don't have a wreck. You never assume that the oncoming car will slow down when you pull out in front of him at that intersection. You take it for granted that when you pass that eighteen-wheeler on the Gulf Freeway, he can't see you and is likely to swerve suddenly to the left, crushing you out of existence. You take responsibility for staying out of trouble.

This week, as we study the Spiritual Fruit that is Peace, I think we need to consider having a "defensive driving" mindset in all of our relationships. Instead of blaming others for the conflict that exists in our lives, we take responsibility for ensuring that there is peace. After all, Romans 12:18 commands, If possible, as far as it depends on you, be at peace with all people. How do we do that, practically speaking? That's what we'll discuss this Sunday. Peace out!

No comments: