Thursday, January 15, 2009

Reaching for the Prize: Change is Possible

If you have spent (or wasted) any time on Youtube, you have probably seen the "Charlie Bit Me," video. It's the "Citizen Kane" of Youtube. If you have better things to do with your time than watch amateur videos, you perhaps haven't seen this minute-long scene. Do yourself a favor; check it out here.

Now ask yourself this question: Why did little Harry keep sticking his finger in little Charlie's mouth? He experienced tremendous pain...yet he kept doing it. It sort of reminds me of myself...I have certain traps I continually stumble into, temptations that repeatedly ensnare me. When I give in to these temptations, it produces real pain and terrible guilt. One would think I would structure my life in such a way that I would never commit those same sins again. Yet not long after the pain is gone, there I am again, sticking my finger in Charlie's mouth. Can any of you identify?

I'm sure you can. Is it really possible for us to change? Absolutely. This Sunday, as we continue in our study of Reaching for the Prize (download the workbook here) we will look at a fantastic passage of Scripture: Colossians 3:5-17. Change isn't just possible; it's essential. You and were created to be transformed, like a caterpillar was made to be a butterfly. This Sunday, we'll look at the nuts and bolts of how that transformation happens.

No comments: