Wednesday, February 6, 2008

What are you reading?

Right now, I'm reading John Newton, From Disgrace to Amazing Grace. It's the biography of the guy who wrote Amazing Grace. Quite a story, and very well-written by a British former politician who has a pretty amazing redemption story of his own. I'm nearly through now, and I'm trying to decide what to read next. Any suggestions? It doesn't have to be something "spiritual," by the way, I like a good novel as much as the next guy. In fact, that's really the direction I'd like to go next.

If you'd like another suggestion from me--and you're not a history geek--I'd highly recommend the book I read before this: Same Kind of Different As Me. It's a true story about a rich art dealer and a homeless former sharecropper who became unlikely friends. That doesn't make it sound very exciting, I know. But trust me...this book will inspire you.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recommendations, I'm always on the lookout for good books.

I just finished a couple of interesting books: "Making Room for Life" by Randy Frazee, and "For Men Only: A Straightforward Guide to Inner Lives of Women" by Shaunti and Jeff Feldhahn.

"Making Room for Life" talks about the overly busy lifestyles that we live and offers biblical suggestions for restoring connectedness. The title of "For Men Only . . ." says it all. I had fun reading this one and discussing it with Angie.

Also, I just started a book by Bill Hybels. The library didn't have "Becoming a Contagious Christian" so I'm reading "Just Walk Across the Room: simple steps pointing people to faith". It's really challenging me.

Anonymous said...

I've been asked to read "Don't Waste Your Life", by John Piper.
Has anyone read it? If so, is it worth the time? Don't want to "waste my life" reading it if it's. Ha! Not sure I've ever read anything of his.

Anonymous

Jeff Berger said...

David,

Thanks...those sound good. I have "Just Walk Across the Room" on CD. I have listened to about half of it, and it's very good. I don't have a CD player in my truck, so I have to rip it onto my computer, then sync it over to my MP3...that's why I haven't finished it yet.

I haven't read "Don't Waste Your Life," but I have read some Piper, and he is very, very good. His stuff is deep and challenging.

Anonymous said...

Jeff,

I just finished "Same Kind of Different as Me". That is a powerful story.

Angie's reading it now.

Jeff Berger said...

Yes, it is a fascinating story and very well written. More than that, it's a very inspiring book. It made me want to do something good in Jesus' name.